Monday, January 3, 2011

Why It Is Impossible to Be Me

according to Isaiah, I would have to do the following:

4 He will judge between the nations
   and will settle disputes for many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
   and their spears into pruning hooks.
Nation will not take up sword against nation,
   nor will they train for war anymore. 

I have the judging part down.  Even though I acknowledge the danger of being "judgmental" I am as aware as anyone could possibly be that "Judgment" falls under my jurisdiction.  You would have to grant me the authority to settle your disputes, and agree to accept my solutions.  Sitting alone for year after year has not granted me the opportunity to settle hardly any disputes.  From my perspective, it seems you are much more satisfied fighting the same old fights over and over gain.  People then look for new disputes to fight with each other over.  No one seems to want to concede anything to bring about peace.

Then we have the swords and plowshares section.  Forgetting for a moment that the world is filled with all manner of dreadful weaponry that far exceeds the dangerous potential of swords and spears, people are making more and more swords and spears all the time.  Is it possible I could get everybody to at least stop making new swords and spears?  What is really the point of beating a few swords and spears into gardening equipment if there are many more of them once we got through the "peaceful conversion?"

Answer that one for me, if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment