Thursday, December 16, 2010

Upon reading further

put out there on September 20, 2010

I have mentioned in a previous blog post that I had read "Dune" and how it is easy to tell the main character is based on Jesus of Nazareth.  Take Jesus out of the New Testament story, place him in a science fiction setting and viola: Paul Muad'dib.  If Jesus did not die but achieved ruler-ship in his lifetime and his kingdom stretched over incredibly vast areas of space think about how powerful, and potentially corrupt he could become.   Not to mention those around him who would seek to usurp him at the first opportunity.

Two years ago, when I lived in Oxnard at a sober living house and was attempting to secure some assistance from someone outside of my ridiculous family, I began reading the sequel to the first book, "Dune Messiah," at the library.  I wound up leaving that abode, and as a consequence, stopped reading "Messiah."

I have just checked it out from the library because now seemed like a good time to resume and finish this novel.  I was having difficulty finishing off "Satanic Verses" for a number of reasons.

Here is an excerpt from the book, a paragraph that seemed so poignant to me today:

"There are many degrees of sight and many degrees of blindness, Paul thought.  His mind turned to a paraphrase of the passage from the Orange Catholic Bible: What senses do we lack that we cannot see another world all around us?"

I leave that for you to contemplate.

No comments:

Post a Comment