Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Homeless And At Risk

While all the crap that has hit the fan keeps getting picked up and flung again I am reminded, from time to time, about some things that have recently had an impact on me.

Today, I went back to where I am allowed to pick up clothing for free.  Clothing that has been donated for people like me who have little to no means to buy new clothes.  The weather is getting colder and some warmer clothes are greatly appreciated.

When I went to this facility I saw the picture of "Mike" and the request for assistance to help find his killer.  It might seem like a second nature effort on my part to remain stoic, but I felt like I was about to burst into tears again.  I only knew Mike as "Mike" the way others did.  He ate several times at the place where I have been eating for over a year.

I remember speaking to him on a few occasions with others who have come and gone from this neighborhood.  Living out on the street and in the open is a problem all over the world.  There is always a danger in that and the term "Homeless And At Risk" really sums it up.  Anything can happen to you when you live like that.  I have not clue as to why someone would want to kill Mike.  He seemed like such a kind, understanding and receptive person.  A lot of people I have met living on and just off the street have had many bad experiences.  

I am sure it makes sense to you that I am horrified that someone like that was allegedly murdered.  I am unable to point the finger at whom is responsible for this tragedy, but I just want to make it clear that we all are responsible for each other.  That does not mean I expect you to take homeless people into your home.  I know how dangerous that can be.  But please, be generous as you can possibly be this holiday season.

It can make the difference between life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment