Saturday, October 16, 2010

More Genius From Confucius

I put this online September 20, 2008


So many people consider themselves divine but think they can tell me how to be me.  Just remember, if you had taken a step in my shoes you would be dead a long time ago.  Also, many people want me to tell them the truth but cannot handle the truth.  If that is the case, perhaps you should not ask me the questions in the first place.

Here is an amazing bit of truth from the Analects.  It just about sums it all up.  If you don't like it, don't blame me, blame him.

From Book 17, Number 25.

The Master said, Women and people of low birth are very hard to deal with.  If you are friendly with them, they get out of hand, and if you keep your distance, they resent it.

I would have to say this is about the most insightful of all of The Master's observations.  

However, with regard to low birth I would probably say the "uneducated" or the "uninformed" would be a more appropriate way of describing the same thing.  Many poor people know exactly what I stand for and believe in me.  This analect applies even more to those that are informed, that have more knowledge of the details of my trials and tribulations and are unwilling or unable to help me personally.  Do not point a finger at me and blame me for your sins.  Too many people knew what was going on and assumed I would play along.  A deadline is a deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment